Retail Merchant Services was founded in 2007. Its aim is to supply small and medium UK businesses with affordable card payment solutions. It is an independent credit and debit card processor which supplies low cost credit card solutions and high quality credit card terminals.
Retail Merchant Services Credit Card Processing & Payment Services
Retail Merchant Services Payments
Retail Merchant Services has a range of payment solutions for accepting payments over the phone, online, via invoice or in person. Retail Merchant Services accepts multiple currencies from all major debit and credit cards:
- American Express
- Apple Pay
- Android Pay
Retail Merchant Services Pricing & Fees
Retail Merchant Services doesn’t list its prices on its website. These must be obtained by contacting the company directly or through one of their agents or resellers.
To see how that compares have a look at: 2019 UK Merchant Account and Credit Card Processing Fee Comparison.
Retail Merchant Services Features
- Fully certified PCI compliance and security for customers
- 24/7 UK based support
- Countertop Card Machines
- Portable Card Machines (wireless)
- Mobile Card Machines (GPRS)
- Professional card terminal installation
- Offer customers cashback, deposits and gratuities
- Inclusive legal advice (24/7)
- Inclusive Tax and VAT Investigation Insurance
- Preferential business bank accounts
- Online Merchant Account and online payment solutions
- Hosted Payment Page or integrated API solutions
- Pay by link, pay now button and e-invoicing payment facilities
- Compatible with 20+ Shopping Cart Plugins
- Instant online reporting tools to track transactions in real time
- Set up recurring payments
Retail Merchant Services’ head office has been in Milton Keynes since it was founded in 2007. The company was started by payment industry experts, including Paul Bentham, who were looking for a more affordable solution for SMEs who needed to process card payments. RMS is a European ISO of merchant account provider Elavon.
In February 2017, Retail Merchant Services was acquired by TCV, a leading provider of capital to growth-stage private and public enterprises in the technology industry. This acquisition and investment will enable RMS to grow and expand their innovative payment services for its merchant customers. Paul Bentham and the remainder of RSM’s shareholders and the management team, all reinvested alongside TCV.
Retail Merchant Services has over 45,000 merchants in the UK and Ireland. Gareth Poppleton is the present managing director of the company. The company uses independent sales reps and resellers to market and sell their product. Their standard contract length is three years, which is renewed automatically at the end of that period. There are hefty penalties to pay for contract cancellation. Retail Merchant Services has won many industry awards since its inception, including winning the Elavon ‘Outstanding ISO performance’ six years in a row.
Retail Merchant Services Pros & Cons
- Ease of swapping provider
- Affordable and competitive rates
- Same day clearance of funds
- Good customer service
- Installation done for you
- Incidences of terminal breakdown and slow exchange
- Incidences of customer service not following up on problems
- Slow on giving refunds
- Confusion over cancellation charges for equipment
- Cancellation fees
Retail Merchant Services Reviews
- Trustpilot: 4.4 out of 5 based on 4,624 reviews
- Reviews: 1 out of 5 based on 9 reviews
Retail Merchant Services Merchant Machine score is 6.4 out of 10 (average of 2 sites above).