If you are looking for an easy way to accept contactless card payments for your vending machine then we have 7 great solutions for you to choose from. We also look at some examples of vending machines with card readers for inspiration.
1. MyPOS Mini
Here are some of the features and benefits of the MyPOS Mini:
- Comes in a specially designed case
- Easy operation
- Flawless communication with vending machine
- Accept any type of transaction, including cards, contactless transactions and NFC-enabled payments
- Includes PCI PTS 5.x
- Can be used at petroleum forecourts, car parks, kiosks and vending machines, transit and ticketing systems.
- Offer a free merchant account and Business card VISA
- Dedicated IBANs in 14 different currencies
- Access to diverse myPOS Mobile App features
- Instant access to funds at any place and any time
- No monthly or annual service fees
Learn more on the MyPOS website.
2. Nayax VPOS Touch
Here are some of the features and benefits of the VPOS Touch:
- Accept Mobile and NFC payments including Apple Pay and GPay,
- Accept swipe, contact or contactless, EMV chip cards
- Accept Static and dynamic QR codes
- Colour touchscreen
- Provides updated information on all aspects of operation including inventory, cash monitoring, alerts, and reports
- Easy to install and can be retrofitted on any vending machine
- Voice capabilities with voice interactions in local languages
- Can connect suing Wifi, 4G or Ethernet
- Anti-fraud thresholds
- Remote vending option
Learn more on the Nayax VPOS Touch website.
3. MEI eChoice™ EMV Bezel
Here are some of the features and benefits of the MEI eChoice™ EMV Bezel:
- Multiple designs whether you accept cash, credit, EMV, and contactless
- No machine modifications required
- Enhanced LCD screen with options for language, imagery, and messaging
- High-visibility runway lights attract customers and callout payment points
- Support loyalty applications that incentivize returning customers
- Card holder data is safe with secure encryption
- Can operate in temperatures between -15°C and 60°C
- Some models accept ApplePay and AndroidPay SmartTap
Learn more on the eChoice™ EMV Bezel website.
4. Alio™ Note
Here are some of the features and benefits of the Alio™ Note:
- Accept ApplePay and GooglePay
- Combines cash acceptance, ePayment, telemetry, antenna, and full-color screen display in a single device for a better customer payment experience
- Reduced hardware provides 56% reduction in hardware installation time
- Internal mobile antenna and 4G LTE connectivity
- Digital, full-coluor screen with capacitive touch buttons
- Digital advertising opportunities
- Built with CPI Synq Bluetooth technology for onsite diagnostics via the Simplifi mobile app
- Primary and secondary antenna support, internally mounted
Learn more on the Alio Note website.
5. Onyx Contactless Card Reader
Here are some of the features and benefits of the Onyx Contactless Card Reader:
- Quick and easy payments with contactless smart cards, NFC and mobile payment apps, QR codes, and prepaid cards.
- Accept ApplePay and GPay
- Colour touchscreen provides easy navigation
- Voice capabilities in multiple languages
- Also includes telemetry device showing overview of sales, machine data, and alerts in real-time
- Change settings and manage your entire machine wherever you are
- Onyx features built-in marketing tools
- Offers advertising opportunities
- Plug and play with remote capabilities and software updates
- Open door & temperature sensors
- External communication: 2G, 3G, 4G, Ethernet, & NFC
Learn more on the Onyx website.
6. VPOS Fusion
Here are some of the features and benefits of the VPOS Fusion:
- Card reader supports both cash and cashless payments
- High resolution colour touch screen
- Voice capabilities guide consumers through a payment process
- Retrofittable and field upgradeable device that is easy to install on any vending machine
- Operators can check in on all aspects of operation including inventory, cash monitoring, alerts, and reports in real-time
- Offer consumers the option of paying with cash
- Wi-Fi and a mobile network (LTE and 4G) connection
- Marketing, loyalty, & consumer engagement options
- Anti-fraud thresholds
- Can also work with laundry machines, car wash stations, amusement rides, office coffee services, prize machines, pay restrooms and more.
Learn more on the VPOS Fusion website.
7. Alio™ Pro
Here are some of the features and benefits of the Alio™ Pro:
- Large screen, PIN on glass capability, and contactless acceptance
- Swipe, chip, and contactless, plus mobile payment choices
- Large, high-resolution touch screen engage users and reduces space
- Streamlined hardware and software design
- Tamper-proof to last against damage and vandalism
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use with Gorilla Glass and a tough outer casing
- Cloud-based device management platform.
- Can accept ApplePay and GooglePay
- Can also work with Casinos, Off-Street Parking, Retail Kiosks, Laundrettes, carwashes, electric vehicle charging and more
Learn more on the Alio™ Pro website.
8. MEI® 4-in-1 Plus
Here are some of the features and benefits of the MEI® 4-in-1 Plus:
- Accept cash, MEI coupons, contactless or magnetic stripe cards, and mobile wallets like ApplePay™, AndroidPay™ and SamsungPay™
- Attract consumers, even in low light locales
- Bright runway lights direct buyers toward payment options
- Secures card holder data via industry-standard encryption
- Contactless EMV certified by EMVco, Visa and MasterCard
- User interface screen seamlessly guides consumer through the payment process
- Add capability to interact with consumer engagement applications like loyalty programs
- Can work between -15°C and 60°C
Learn more on the MEI® 4-in-1 Plus website.
5 Vending Machines With Card Readers
Looking for examples of vending machines with built-in card readers? Then have a look at the following 5 models.
1. Necta Swing
Here a few of the features of the Necta Swing vending machine:
- Cashless payments with either key & card
- Can handle up to 3 payment systems
- Electronic tray labels
- Available in many different layouts: 100% food, stratified temperatures, and/or Ambient Layout (no heating or cooling)
- Product capacity: 360 units
- LED lighting
Learn more on the Necta website.
2. CPI Bespoke Vending
- Increase brand awareness & customer engagement
- Used by brands such as: Yves Saint Laurent, Moet and Spirit
- Solutions for food, drinks, pools, gyms, school and coffee
- 3 step solution: Custom design your machine, place your product in the machine, place the machine in the right location
Learn more on the CPI website.
3. Merchant Combo MEDIA2
- Capture every sale with a built-in and intuitive cashless solution
- Delivering unparalleled speed, reliability and screen responsiveness
- Large 9″ touchscreen with full-motion video attracts and engages consumers
- Suggestive selling and digital advertising drive impulsive and multi-product sales
- Shopping Cart: Enable multi-product purchases with one, simple transaction
- Nutritional Information: Inform consumers with a large display of easy-to-read nutrition facts
- Manage machines over the air with Simplifi TM CONNECT PLUS
Learn more on the Merchant Combo MEDIA2 website.
4. G-Caffè UNI-Q
- Integrated payment system available
- Freestanding coffee vending machine
- Innovative temperature management system
- Available with the original coffee brewer or instant powder supply
- Touch display selection
- Telemetry kit available
- Ability to customise your machine
Learn more on the G-Caffè UNI-Q website.
5. Saeco Artico L
- Possibility to install 3 payment systems at the same time
- Accepts the most commonly used parallel and standard MDB, BDV and Executive payment systems
- Programmable temperature (snack or food)
- Optimized ventilation to reduce energy consumption
- Possibility to create menus for selling more combined products
- Number of trays: 6 – 7
- Can tray: 48 cans
- Number of spirals: 48 – 56
- Food configuration snack: 8°C – 16°C
- Food/Tetra Pak: 0°C – 4°C
Learn more on the Saeco website.
How Much Do Vending Machine Card Readers Cost?
Unlike standard card payment machines for small business, vending machine card readers are not transparently priced. Based on our research we found prices for these machines ranged from £350 to over £1,000. In addition, there is usually around a £10 monthly subscription charge and transaction fees range from 2.95% to 4.95%.
All in all they are much more expensive than standard card readers.
How Do Credit Card Vending Machines Work?
Credit card vending machines usually have 3 components. There will be the card reader payment unit itself (see above), although some newer machines may have these built-in.
Then you will have to pay a monthly subscription fee to the relevant payment company to accept payments each month. Finally, you will have pay a transaction fee on each sale.
The payment company will handle all the payment processing and then remit funds to you based on your contract. Typically this can be anywhere from a couple of days to a week or more.
Where Can I Put A Vending Machine With A Card Reader?
Anywhere with foot traffic can in theory make a great location for a vending machine with card reader. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Blocks of flats
- Care Facilities
Just keep in mind you’ll have to make an agreement with the location owner to put your machine in place. This can involve either a monthly rental fee and/or a percentage value of good sold.