The animated map above shows how quickly China overtook the US to become the largest trading partner for the vast majority of the world’s countries. It covers the period between 1980 and 2018 and countries change colour depending on whether they trade more with the US (blue) or more with China (red).
Up until 2001 (the year China joined the WTO) 80% of the world traded more with the US than China. However, today 128 out of 190 countries (2/3rd) trade more with China than the US. With 90 countries trading twice as much with China as the US (dark red).
When looking just at country’s biggest source of imports, the map is even more skewed. Here’s a map of countries that import more from the U.S, Germany or China.
Europe’s biggest import partner is Germany, whereas the rest of the world is a sea of red.
Find these maps interesting? Please help us by sharing them:
Our Top Guides
- 11 Best Card Readers For Small Business
- 11 Best Online Payment Providers
- 21 Best UK Ecommerce Platforms In The UK
- Top 100 UK Card Payment Companies
Other Popular Guides
- UK Merchant Account & Credit Card Processing Fee Comparison
- How to Accept Card Payments Online, In-Store, & By Phone
- Payment Gateways In The UK: What You Need To Know
- Square Card Reader Reviews: UK Payment Fees & Pricing Compared
- SumUp Card Reader Reviews: UK Fees & Pricing
- Dojo Go Card Machine Reviews, Pricing & Fees
- Worldpay Reviews: UK Fees & Pricing
- Top 10 UK Direct Debit Bureau & Recurring Payments Companies
- Contactless Mobile Card Payment Readers: Which Is Cheapest?
- PDQ Machines: Cheap Chip & Pin Card Payment Terminals From £19
- 7 Best Mobile Card Readers With Built-In Receipt Printers
- Credit Card & PDQ Machine Rental Cost: Hire From Just £19
- Square vs Zettle Vs Worldpay & Sumup: Card Reader Comparison