The Co-operative Bank can trace its roots back to 1872, when the Loans and Deposits Department of the Co-operative Wholesale Society was founded. Today the company provides high street and internet banking, and it has joined forces with First Data to provide its business customers with merchant services.
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Credit Card Processing & Payment Services
Co-Operative Bank Merchant Services has partnered with First Data. They provide credit card and payment solutions for every type of business, from SMEs to multinationals and financial institutions, whether in store, online, by telephone or email. First Data accepts every credit and debit card option, including:
- Diners Club International
- American Express
- Discover Network
- PIN-based and signature debit cards
The company encourages their customers to tell them if there is a card which the company does not accept, so they can include it.
Other Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Products and Services
Through First Data, Co-operative Bank Merchant Services are able to offer their customers an exceptionally wide variety of products and services, including many add-ons to standard contracts.
- Clover Station – comes with integrated loyalty and reward scheme apps, ideal for restaurants
- Clover Mobile – for selling on the move
- Clover Mini – Fulfils multiple rolls without taking up counter space
- Clover Station – Retail EPOS system
- Google Wallet – allowing business owners to accept mobile payments
- Multiple terminals, one solution – run multiple terminals through one connection.
- Business Track and ClientLine – real time information plus historical data
- Dynamic Currency Conversion
- Tax-free Shopping refund service
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Pricing & Fees
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services and First Data don’t list any of their pricing or fees online. These must be obtained from Co-operative Bank.
To see how they compare, have a look at: 2019 UK Merchant Account and Credit Card Processing Fee Comparison.
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Features
- Fraud screening
- Accepts all major credit and debit cards
- Transaction approval in 1.9 seconds or less
- Compliance with PCI standards
- Transaction data and analytics
- Chargeback dispute resolution
- Receive e-deposits directly to your bank account
- Seamless integration with point of sale software
- Ability to offer cash back with a debit card purchase
- Virtual gift cards
- POS terminal options that can securely and quickly accept any card payment type
- Streamlined account management with Business Track
The Co-operative Bank can trace its roots back to 1872, when it was part of the Co-operative Wholesale Society. The CWS was started in 1844 by the Rochdale Pioneers. It was a business that was owned by its members and was to work for the common good. In 1863, the North of England Co-operative Wholesale Society was launched by 300 individual co-ops across Yorkshire and Lancashire.
Its aim was to buy and manufacture goods for co-ops. The company has been through many changes since its inception but still champions good causes and was one of the first manufacturing organisations to promote ‘Fair Trade’ for its products.
The Co-operative Bank uses First Data as its merchant services partner. First Data began its life in Omaha, Nabraska in 1971 by providing processing services to the Mid-America Bankcard Association (MABA). The company grew over the next decade and in 1980, American Express bought 80% of the company, purchasing the remaining 20% over the next 4 years. First Data was incorporated in 1989 and went public in 1992.
The company now has a worldwide presence across 118 countries, serving 4000 financial institutions and six million merchants. They have award winning technology which is powered by 23,000 owner-associates worldwide, allowing them to process over 2,800 transactions per second. Over $1.9 trillion goes through them every year and they process 28% of the world’s eCommerce volume.
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Pros & Cons
There are no online reviews for Co-operative Bank Merchant Services but, as they use First Data, below are the reviews for First Data.
- Everything is handled in-house
- They offer many resources and tools
- Many complementary services
- Good customer service with knowledgeable staff
- High fees
- Withholding funds and account terminations
- Heavy early termination fees
- Expensive equipment leases
Co-op Bank Merchant Services Reviews
Note as mentioned above the review score below is for First Data.
How Does Co-operative Bank Merchant Services Compare?
Co-operative Bank Merchant Services doesn’t reveal any of its charges online, so it isn’t easy to compare directly with other payment gateways and merchant accounts. Go to the company’s request a quote page for a direct quote. You can also visit a comparison site such as Cardswitcher and/or read more on our merchant account comparison page.