Barclaycard merchant services are part of the Barclays group. Barclaycard has been providing merchant account services for almost 50 years and has over 87,000 retailers on its books, from small businesses to large corporations.
Barclaycard Credit Card Processing & Payment Services
Barclaycard has a range of payment solutions for accepting payments over the phone, online, via invoice or in person. Barclaycard accepts a range of payments types in 48 currencies and convert them into one of 14 currencies, including Sterling, Euro and US Dollars:
- American Express
- Apple Pay
Barclaycard Pricing & Fees
Barclaycard has a variety of services which they can offer businesses. The fees vary depending on the package chosen. Barclaycard doesn’t publish all its prices online, these can only be obtained when asking them directly for a quote.
Face to Face payments
- Desktop card machines – 18 month contract – £15 + VAT
- Portable card machines – 18 month contract – £20 + VAT
- Mobile card machines – 18 month contract – £25 + VAT
- Barclaycard Anywhere – Pay as you go – £60 + VAT + 2.6% (75p per refund)
- Transaction costs for desktop, portable and mobile depend on volume and value
- E-PDQ Essential – entry level – from £20 per month plus VAT
- E-PDQ Extra – from £45 per month plus VAT
- E-PDQ Extra Plus – from £75 per month plus VAT
- E-PDQ MOTO Essential – from £15 per month plus VAT, plus 1.5% transaction fee
- E-PDQ MOTO Extra – from £45 per month plus VAT, plus 1.5% transaction fee
- Integration to most popular ecommerce platforms and shopping carts
- Take payment from all major payment methods
- Customised payment pages
- Comprehensive reporting
- Secure and fully PCI compliant hosted payment page
By Phone and Mail – virtual terminal
- Easy to set up – no technical knowledge needed
- Works with laptops, tablets and smart phones
- Accept payment in different currencies
- Up to 5 users can process payments at once
- Proactive security and advanced card verification services
Source: Barclaycard pricing
To see that that compares have a look at: UK Merchant Account and Credit Card Processing Fee Comparison.
- Access to a wide range of fraud prevention tools
- Secure and fully PCI compliant hosted online payment page
- 12-18 month contracts
- One-time fee for set-up
- Face to Face
- Telephone and mail
- MOTO solutions
- Virtual terminals
- Mobile Card machine
- Portable Card machine
- Countertop PDQ machines
- Barclaycard Anywhere machine – Pay as you go
- Card machine integrates with your Point of Sale
Barclaycard began in 1966 and, for over fifty years, it has been developing a range of payment solutions to meet the needs of any size business. Barclays can trace its history back to 1690. It now operates in over 40 countries around the world and employs 120,000 people. Barclaycard is one of Barclays four core businesses.
Barclays has a series of ‘firsts’ to its name. It was the first bank in the world to use a cash dispenser (1967). In 1958, Barclays became the first UK bank to appoint a female bank manager. Barclays also launched the UK’s first credit card, Barclaycard, in 1966. Barclaycard was the only British credit card until 1972, when Access was introduced.
Another first for Barclays, was the introduction of the Connect card in 1987, which was the UK’s first debit card. In August 2015, Barclays became the first UK high street bank to accept bitcoin for charitable donations.
1997 saw Barclaycard being the first UK credit company to allow bills to be paid over the internet. In 2011, Barclaycard, in partnership with Orange, became the first in Europe to launch contactless mobile payments.
Today, Barclaycard has over 87,000 retailers using its services. Their costs appear to be a little higher than other merchant providers but the service is reliable and easy to use.
Barclaycard Pros & Cons
There are very few reviews of Barclaycard merchant services online. Five or six years ago the major complaint was poor customer service but this seems to have been remedied.
There are no serious complaints online about Barclaycard merchant services division. The consensus of opinion is that although their fees are a little higher than other companies, the system works and the customer care is good.
How Does Barclaycard Compare?
Barclaycard doesn’t reveal all its charges online, so it isn’t easy to compare directly with other payment gateways and merchant accounts. Go to the company’s request a quote page for a direct quote. You can also read more on our merchant account comparison page.