Etsy was developed as a global marketplace for unique, handmade and creative goods. It’s basically an online craft fair, where sellers can reach buyers from around the globe. Etsy has an estimated 54 million members, with 31.7 million active buyers in 83 countries.
Etsy eCommerce Fees & Pricing
- No monthly fees
- £0.14 per listing (active for 4 months)
- 5% transaction fee
- 4% + £0.20 payment processing
Source: Etsy Pricing
To see how they compare, have a look at: 2019 UK Merchant Account and Debit Card Processing Fee Comparison.
- Low fees
- Manage your business anywhere
- Build a website in minutes
- Improve your views with promoted listings + free social media tools
- Analyse and optimise your shop
- Unlimited listings
- SSL certificate included
- Secure payment processing
- Expand brand with custom website – Pattern
- Manage Etsy shop and Pattern site from same place
- Custom domains
- Beautiful designs, made for mobiles
Other Etsy Products and Services
- Pattern website
Etsy was launched by Iospace in 2005. The first version too its three owners, Haim Schoppik, Chris Maguire and Robert Kalin, just two and a half months to complete. Etsy quickly attracted traffic to its site due to constantly updating and adding innovative functions to it.
In 2008, Haim and Chris, together with other employees, left the company. This was the time when former Yahoo! Executive, Chad Dickerson came on board. Chad became CEO in 2011.
Etsy announced its B Corporation certification in 2012 and raised $40 million in Series F funding. In September 2016, Etsy bought Blackbird Technologies, an AI company. Etsy’s headquarters are in Brooklyn, New York, with a European presence in Berlin.
Etsy generally has around 45 million products for sale at any one time. Eighty-six per cent of these are sold by women. Repeat purchasers make up 81% of Etsy sales. In 2016, Etsy’s gross merchandise sales was $2.84 billion.
Etsy Pros & Cons
The following pros and cons are based on information available on reviews from Trustpilot.
- Good source for handcrafted items and vintage items
- Great site to browse
- Professional and helpful sellers
- Personal feel to the site
- Poor customer service
- Inefficient admin staff
- Rude emails from Etsy
- Blocking of accounts
- Accounts closed because Etsy won’t believe articles are handmade
Note that many of the negative Etsy reviews concern the actual sellers rather than Etsy itself.
- Trustpilot: 2.3 out of 5 based on 1,196 reviews
Based on reviews on the above three sites, our Merchant Machine score is 2.3 out of 5.